Do you still have leftover pumpkin from Halloween? Want to make use of this highly versatile squash but don’t know a good starting point? This cracking pumpkin soup is hearty and packed with a myriad of flavours. Give it a try!
1 Large Pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
2 Onions, finely chopped
1 Large Potato, peeled and chopped
50g (2oz) Butter
2-3 cloves of Garlic, chopped
2 x 400g tins of Chopped Tomatoes
300ml Vegetable Stock
Chilli Powder (optional)
Ground Nutmeg (optional)
1. Melt butter in pan and add chopped onion and potato. Gently cook until the onion is soft but not coloured.
2. Add pumpkin and garlic and cook until slightly soft. Add a little oil to prevent sticking if necessary.
3. Add tinned tomatoes, stock and pepper and bring to boil. Continue cooking until all the vegetables are soft.
4. Add chilli and nutmeg ( a little at a time) to taste if using.
5. Puree with a hand blender until smooth and serve.