- 3 tbsp miso paste
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- Ground white pepper, to season
- 2-3 large spring onions, trimmed and cut into 2cm (¾in) pieces
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 spring onion, extra thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Bring the miso paste, soy sauce, mirin and sugar to a simmer in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 mins, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the chicken and half the sauce in a bowl. Season with ground white pepper. Chill in the fridge for 30 mins to marinate.
- Thread the chicken, and spring onions alternately onto metal or (pre-soaked) bamboo skewers.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the skewers to the pan and cook, turning once, for 6 -8 mins, or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the remaining spring onion. Serve immediately with the extra sauce for dipping.