- 250g plain flour for coating
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- A whole 2 to 2.5kg chicken, cut into pieces or use chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 125ml white wine or Chicken stock
- 200g punnet fresh mushrooms, quartered
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag.
2. Shake the chicken pieces in flour until coated.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan (one with a cover/lid). Fry the chicken pieces until they are browned on both sides. Remove from pan.
4. Add the onion, garlic and pepper to the pan and sauté until the onion is slightly browned.
5. Return the chicken to the pan and add the tomatoes, oregano and wine or if using, chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes over medium low heat.
6. Add the mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 more minutes and serve.