MIDDLESBROUGH Environment City
Climate Action Middlesbrough (CAM) is a programme which aims to facilitate reductions in Middlesbrough’s carbon footprint and encourage a change towards more sustainable lifestyles. In essence, we hope to increase community action across the areas of sustainable food, sustainable transportation, domestic energy, waste and the natural environment, as well as inspiring sustained changes in individual, community and organisational behaviours in relation to climate change.
Middlesbrough Environment City is working with a number of partners on the project including: ACTES, LINX Youth Project, Tees Valley Wildlife Trust, The Other Perspective, Thirteen Group and Middlesbrough Council. Over the course of the programme, CAM will engage the wider community through intergeneration activities. Young people are at the forefront of tackling climate change.
Climate Action Middlesbrough is funded by the National Lottery Community Fund through the Climate Action Fund.
Aims and Objectives
We have a number of aims and objectives in this project:
- To facilitate reductions in Middlesbrough’s carbon footprint.
- To create a well-informed social movement supportive of tackling the climate crisis, through the combination of education, awareness-raising, increased involvement and connectedness and delivery of practical projects.
- To create a community – led movement for social change towards a sustainable environment.
- To enable communities to have a voice on addressing the changing climate.
Middlesbrough’s Green Strategy
Middlesbrough Council is setting out an ambitious 10-year vision to develop a green agenda designed to rise to the challenge of climate change, as well as support and improve biodiversity in and around Middlesbrough. The green strategy will include measures such as the aforementioned biodiversity, as well as increasing recycling rates, addressing health inequalities, providing and sustaining more green transport options, food security and energy reduction, all based around the ten One Planet Living principles to ensure Middlesbrough embodies them.
In doing this, it sets a programme to meet Government targets for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and make the town more climate resilient to ensure we are prepared and can adapt to changes in the climate, as well as to minimise the environmental impact of Council services in the future.
Broadly, the Strategy has three key aims to meets its obligations:
- To make Middlesbrough Council net carbon neutral by 2029
- To ensure Middlesbrough as a town is net carbon neutral by 2039.
- To make Middlesbrough a lead authority on Environmental issues