These fantastic spiced biscuits make for lovely treats at Christmas or…anytime, really! With just the right touch of spice and that hit of sweetness, these biscuits are certain to become everyday favourites!
Sunflower oil for greasing
175g plain flour, plus extra
1 tsp ground ginger
Zest of 1 orange
100g cold butter, cut into chunks
50g golden caster sugar
1 tablespoon milk
12 fruit flavoured boiled sweets
Icing sugar to dust
About 120 cm ribbon to decorate
1) Heat oven to 180 degress celsius/fan, or gas mark 4. Grease 2 large non stick baking sheets with oil.
2) Whizz the flour, ginger, zest and butter with 1/2 tsp salt to fine crumbs in a food processor.
3) Pulse in the sugar and milk, then turn out and kneed briefly on a floured surface till smooth
4) Wrap in cling film, then chill for about 30 mins
5) Flout the work surface again, then roll out the dough to the thickness of a £1 pound coin. Using a 7cm cutter cut out main shape of cookie, then using a 4cm cutter to cut out the middles. Re-roll leftover pieces. Make a hole in the top of each biscuit, then carefully lift onto the baking sheets
6) Crush the sweets into their wrappers with a rolling pin, then put the pieces into the middle of the biscuits—the sweets should be level with the top of the dough.
7) Bake for 15-20 mins until golden and sweets have melted
8) Leave to harden, then transfer to rack to cool.
9) Make some icing and decorate or just dust with icing sugar.