Don’t chuck out your vegetables, don’t waste that cream and don’t toss out that butter: This creamy carrot and parsnip soup is a fantastic, warming treat that makes the most of root vegetables this winter! Soups are perfect for making use of leftovers, and this soup is certainly an indulgent treat!
1 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1 cm cubes
450g carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp freshly grated root ginger
600 ml boiling water
1 stock cube
Grated orange rind
100 ml single cream
Salt and pepper
Dried chilli pepper flakes or paprika to garnish
1. Melt butter and fry onion until soft. Add the carrots and parsnips, fry for 3 minutes.
2. Add stock, ginger and orange rind to pan.
3. Simmer for 30 minutes until carrots and parsnips are soft.
4. Remove from heat and blend with hand blender.
5. Stir in cream, season with salt and pepper.
6. Warm through and serve with crusty bread.