150g Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
225g Caster Sugar
50g Ground Almonds
125g Butter, melted
2 Large Eggs, beaten
350g Rhubarb, sliced
25g Flaked Almonds
1.Preheat the oven to 170C, Gas 3.
2. Butter and base line a loose-bottomed deep 20cm (8in) cake tin.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
4. Stir in the sugar and almonds.
5. Beat in the melted butter and beaten eggs to give a soft dropping consistency.
6. Spoon half the mixture over the base of the cake tin.
7. Arrange the rhubarb over the cake base then drop the rest of the mixture over in spoonful’s, leaving gaps.
8. Scatter with the flaked almonds.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 ¼ – 1 ½ hours until well risen and golden. Insert a skewer into the centre, if cooked the skewer should be clean and dry.
10. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes then remove and leave on a wire rack to cool.
11. Serve with cream or ice cream.