Smart meters are the new generation of gas and electricity meters, which replace the traditional meters in our homes. These are currently being rolled out to households and the Government intends that every home will have been offered a smart meter by 2020.
What are the benefits of a smart meter?
- Your bills will be accurate and not estimates
- Regular meter readings will be shared directly with your energy supplier through a secure wireless network, meaning no more manual meter readings
- You will also receive an in-home display, which shows exactly how much energy you’re using, as you use it, and what it is costing in pound and pence
- Switching between suppliers will become easier and quicker
- Prepay customers will be able to top up on-line or with a mobile phone
How do I sign up for a smart meter?
Contact your energy supplier, they will let you know when they are installing smart meters in your area.
There will be no extra cost for your SMART meter installation; it will be fitted by a trained meter installer. Before they arrive, make sure you know where your current meters are located and check they’re easy to access.
For more information please visit www.smartenergyGB.org
We are currently running smart meter information sessions specially aimed at older people – especially those with no internet access. If you run an events group or session for older people and would like one of our advisors to attend to run a short, fun and informative session please do get in touch. 01642 579820